My love for traybakes runs deep. Chop some meat and veg, add some flavour, whack it all on a tray and put it in the oven. Job done. What’s not to love about that type of cooking method? That’s how easy this gnocchi traybake is.
I shared this recipe recently as part of my One Pan Wonder Week challenge and it got some rave reviews. It makes the most simple and tasty dinner – a delicious combination of gnocchi, chorizo and fresh veggies, sprinkled with parmesan. It’s the ultimate in family-friendly easy comfort food. Perfect on those days where you just can’t be bothered, but you know you still have to feed everyone.
The first few times I made this, I boiled the gnocchi separately and then added it to the tray at the end. But then I discovered that simply adding the gnocchi to the tray along with the chorizo and veggies was not only easier, it resulted in the gnocchi getting crispy edges that were extra delicious, while still being cooked perfectly in the centre.
It can be hard to find additive and preservative free gnocchi in supermarkets, but I have found that the Grand Italian brand and the Aldi brand (those found in the fridge section, not on the regular shelves), both have a good ingredients list.
I first made this, convinced that there would be loads of leftovers if I used two packets of gnocchi. But with my carb-loving kids, there was no chance of that – the tray was just about licked clean! Be guided by your own knowledge of your family’s appetites when it comes to the quantities for this one. And if you’re not fans of chorizo, or you’re looking for a cheaper alternative, try bacon instead – or haloumi if you want a vegetarian option.
So, if you’re after a super easy, quick, hands-free meal on a busy night, I present to you… Gnocchi Traybake. Trust me – this will be demolished before your very eyes!
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large red or yellow capsicum
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 2 good quality chorizo
- 1 or 2 500g packets fresh gnocchi depending on your family size and appetites!
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray.
- Cut vegetables into chunks about the same size as the gnocchi. Halve the chorizo lengthways and cut into slices.
- Spread chorizo, vegetables and gnocchi on the baking tray and toss with a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place in oven for about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan and serve immediately (or pop back in the oven or under the grill for a few minutes super melty golden cheese).