Tray-bakes are a favourite in our house, and they are super popular with the community of my Meal Plan Membership, too. It doesn’t get much easier than popping veggies and protein on a tray with some kind of delicious sauce or marinade, then letting the oven do its thing while your hands stay free to do something else.
This tray-bake combines all the classic Mediterranean ingredients to create big flavour and has proven to be a winner dinner in many households.
Balsamic Chicken Traybake
This delicious mix of flavours is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Some bread to mop up the yummy juices makes this even better.
- 500-700 g chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp seeded mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large red or yellow capsicum
- 2 small zucchinis
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 bunches broccolini
- 80 g feta
- sourdough or flatbread
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a large baking tray with foil and baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together oil, vinegar, honey and mustard. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken thighs and coat well in mixture. Set aside while you prep vegetables.
- Chop onion, capsicum and zucchini into pieces about 2cm square. Halve cherry tomatoes.
- Spread vegetables (except broccolini) evenly on the tray and add the chicken thighs.
- Place tray in oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Add broccolini on top of chicken and vegetables and bake for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Crumble feta over the top and serve with bread to mop up the juices.
- Add other vegetables if you wish – eg eggplant, mushrooms. If adding harder vegetables such as potatoes or pumpkin, chop into smaller pieces and cook them for 20 minutes before adding softer vegetables and chicken.
- You could use breast fillets (cut into smaller pieces) instead of thighs, but they would not need as long to cook. Cook the vegetables for 10-15 minutes before adding the chicken breast, to avoid it drying out.
- This marinade would also work with lamb chops or steaks.
- I often add extra chicken pieces to this so that we have some ready to add to wraps or salads for a few days