Or “Breakfast Pies” or ” Fruit & Yoghurt Nests” – the kids haven’t quite decided what to call them yet, although they have decided that they absolutely love them!
I adapted this recipe from here:
I made these in the evening after dinner, so all we needed to do for a quick breakfast was add natural yoghurt and fruit. So easy! Even the fussy 6 year old, who won’t eat muesli or porridge, downed three of these this morning!
3 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
1/4 cup unsweetened apple purée (I just used baby food)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup shredded coconut (make sure it’s organic to avoid the preservatives)
1/4 cup LSA (or just ground linseed)
1/4 cup pepitas (or other sliced nuts or seeds)
Greek or natural yoghurt and fresh fruit for topping
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Melt the coconut oil and honey together, then add apple purée and vanilla.
3. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until all well coated.
4. Refrigerate the mixture for about 30 minutes to cool, then spoon into greased muffin tins. I fill the muffin hole loosely with the mixture, then press it down and mould around the edges using wet hands to avoid it sticking to me. If you have leftover mixture, spread it onto a tray to bake as granola.
6. Store in an airtight container, then fill with yoghurt and fruit for a delicious breakfast treat.